Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein


 

Those who have never heard of this storybook, HURRY... go to your nearest library or bookshop to look for it NOW!!!

It is an amazing book which I will grant 5 stars from the very start.  That shows how much I ADORE this book!

I was first introduced to the story by my Angklung Instructor (Thank you Ms F!). I was in Sec 2 I think... The Angklung Orchestra played the accompanying music as someone narrated the story, and another acted as the boy. It was a magical moment, that still remains in my mind till now, and one that I wish I could repeat with the current Angklung Orchestra that I started in my school. 

It tells of a story of a little boy and a tree and how their relationship changes as the boy goes through the different phases of his life.  His feelings and actions towards the tree changes as he grows, but the tree's love for him is unconditional and remains unwavering over time, just like a parent's love for his child.

I read this book when my little girl turned 2... And it has been a tradition in my family so far to read this book when my kids turn 2... Some may find the story a tad too long for a 2 year old... but yet again I believe that it all depends of the reader... If you read it with passion and emotion, your child will stay with you throughout the story... And of course, ensure that there are no other distractions around the room, and that the child is well fed, has had enough sleep and not in a cranky mood... Your environment and the condition of your child matters a lot if you want an enjoyable reading experience with your lil ones ;o)

I am writing this review in advance before the actual reading tonight cos I am so excited about the reading... Usually when I read this book with kids we will end up dramatising them, or sometimes they will just be sitting on my lap and listening quietly... Tonight I think I will try something different... Here are the list of activities that I hope I can implement -

Post-reading activities

1. All 3 make tree cutouts with apples on them...

2. For the 7 year old -
Creative Writing and Moral Education, Literary Appreciation :
(i) For her to interpret the story... Who does the tree remind you of, who does the boy remind you of? Would you act the same way as the boy? If not, how would you act differently?
(i) To indicate 3 people who have been giving to me
(ii) How I can be more giving
(iii) Write a short story piecing the above 2 points together
(iv) Her tree cut-out will be pasted at the front of her book

3. For the 4 year old -
High frequency words :
To write down high frequency words on the tree

4. For the 2 year old -
Concept of Sizes :
Different shape sizes

5.  I may continue with another story if I have time on the lifecycle of a tree (That book will be posted as another book review ;o))












No comments:

Post a Comment