Wednesday, October 10, 2012

All about Butterflies

Usually our activities would b inspired by the stories that we read... But 2 nights ago it was the reverse

Somehow, my son discovered 2 sleeping bags in our wardrobe... No prizes for those who can guess what they turned the bags to.... Yup, they decided to turn into caterpillars and butterflies...

I seized this opportunity to revisit the above books which my aunt had generously given to me.
As I read, starting from butterfly eggs, my children (yes including the 7 year old who loves drama... Hmmm wonder where she gets that from ;-p) crouched low and small, pretending to be the butterfly eggs. They 'forcefully' hatched out of the eggs (note the inverted commas, cos I don't think caterpillars hatch out forcefully...) peeping their heads out of the sleeping bags, emerging now as a young caterpillar...

I continued onto the 2nd book... With their heads peeping out of the bags, my kids started crawling around the room in the bags and 'eating' everything in their way.. In their quest to grow big, big, big...(at this time my 2 year old was so super excited)... Then they started molting, and replaced their sleeping bags with blankets... Every time they molted they would exchange blankets... Finally having grown  big enough, my BIG caterpillars crawled back into their bags and wrapped themselves into a cocoon onto to emerge soon enough as a butterfly, with blanket wrapped shoulders as their wings...

All the while I was reading the words on the book...At the end of the drama, we read the book again, so as to introduce the lil ones to the words...

It is not an overly exciting story book on its own... Ur kid will either hate or love it... The photos however, were beautiful.

3.5 starts for this simple non-fiction books which introduces kids to the life cycle of a butterfly...

No comments:

Post a Comment