Sunday, October 7, 2012

Book reviews by a 7-year old

My 7 year-old is a voracious reader... Her book sources come from the library, from the bookshop  (cos our family's favourite "stakeout" in any mall is a bookshop)and now her newly discovered 2nd hand bookshop... She will save her daily pocket money to buy her next book though we try to encourage her to just borrow her books from the library (so that we can save some $$$)

Who r we to blame though other than ourselves as children observe, listen, and copy... both me and significant other simply love buying books...Holding a new book in your hands, flipping throug its crisp pages and smelling the fresh smell of paper as you turn the pages is just an experience that I feel only book lovers can understand.  2nd hand books themselves have their own special place in our hearts. The thought that someone has read the book, probably loved it and benefitted from it and now passing it to its next better reader to enjoy, instead of letting it collect dust at the back of his bookshelf and remain unread by any others, a forgotten story, is exciting on its own (it also helps that 2nd hand books are cheaper)...Ok, I think a disclaimer is due here. The above are just my own romantic thoughts of owning a book and none of my hubby's ;-)

Now back to my 7-year old... As I was saying she is a voracious reader. With the many books that are out in the market nowadays, my husband and I are very particular about the types of books that she reads to ensure that the stories hold values that are not contrary to our beliefs and principles, the language used is appropriate and that it is of some literary value. Before she borrows or buys a book, we will make it a point to just flip throught the pages, read the synopsis, and hopefully read some of the chapters (though that is very rarely done). So what better way to know what my daughter is reading than to get her to do her own book review, right? Other than getting a peek into her fantasy reading world, i hope this will start her on a new hobby of writing, so that writing would become a natural to her instead of a daunting task when her composition assignments start knocking on her academic door.

Some pointers I gave to her to start writing her review are as follows -

  1. State the title of book and the author
  2. When, where, who, why and how she got her the book (more to get her to appreciate that her books are a luxury that some kids in a less developed country do not get to appreciate be they books she gets from people, or from the library, or even from her own pockets)
  3. A brief of the story without revealing the entire story. To pick out one or 2 parts which she found more interesting in the story
  4. Why she likes the book, and her feelings before and after her reading
  5. Her rating

My other objective of getting her to review her book is to get her to consciously read the story for understanding and appreciation... Cos reading words is easy; understanding, comprehending and appreciating it is another... 

So here's her blog http://kiittyreadsabook.blogspot.sg/

Pssst... I have copied her maiden review which I have previously posted in my blog into hers

Pssst... As you can see her blog is also under my profile ;-) hehehehe... For better control ;-) you can tell that I am a very careful mummy... Hahahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment