Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mem Fox and Reading Aloud

Mem Fox is another author that I can always depend on for a good read for my kids.  I was introduced to her when I was working towards my Trinity Guildhall Cert in speech & drama; and I was researching on the benefits of reading aloud for my oral presentation portion of the test.

Just a little intro abt her... She is a very strong advocate of reading aloud to children... And how by doing so you would enhance your child's reading skills (Check out her website - http://www.memfox.net/welcome.html).  I agree totally with her and that is y I place great importance on reading to my kids almost every night if possible.  To share what reading aloud is all about... Well, let's just leave it to the experts, won't we - http://www.memfox.net/reading-magic-and-do-it-like-this
 
My daughter started reading before she was 3, without me putting in much effort other than to read to her since she was a baby.  My now 2 year old daughter, is also showing signs of reading.  My 4 year old son who will b going on 5 next year, on the other hand, have not... So that explains, my great anxiety... Nevertheless being a mum means never ever giving up on your child... I have come up with different methods to teach him to read, but it was getting tough cos he finds these methods tiresome and boring... Then, I realised my mistake... Due to my hectic workload in my old job and the fact that I had no helper then, I had neglected reading aloud to him frequently when he was much younger, as how I did for my 1st one...
 
And so, I revived my daily read aloud sessions this year...In the end I realised it always came down to reading aloud.  An activity which he has grown fond of as the years pass...So I persisted in reading aloud. Being an active boy, at times it may b difficult to get him to sit quietly and listen to the story. But I truly believe that despite him displaying such kinaesthetic ability while I read, he does actively listen, and he has shown that he does.   
 
Celebrate little victories, I say.  And I say, how my lil boy has shown great improvement these past few months - his reading ability, attention span, as well as his ability to comprehend a story have all shown significant improvements.  With help from Allah, Alhamdulillah! Insya-Allah, God Willing, and I'm confident of it, my dear sweet boy will surprise me like how he surprises me many times with his many talents.  Meanwhile, to quote a wise lady.. "Your child is like an orchid... Be careful how you handle them.  Touch them wrongly and u may risk damaging your orchid."






No comments:

Post a Comment