Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel


We read "Owl at Home" by Arnold Lobel yesterday night. The book had 5 stories altogether. I was supposed to read only one story and leave the other 4 for the next 4 nights... But ended up reading 4 out of 5 of the stories cos the kids (the 7 and 4 year old) loved it so much, that 1 thing led to another. 

I guess it didnt help that I was such a drama mama, and got them to actually act out some of the scenes together. Hey!! I thought this was supposed to be a bedtime story... How do you expect the kids to sleep when you get them to do speech and drama before bedtime?!!!  Well, that's just us... that's our bedtime routine :o)

Like all Arnold Lobel's characters, Owl is an innocent character, who is Oh soooo cute. For example how he gets scared of the two bumps under his blanket (which are actually his feet); and how frustrated he gets wondering why he cannot be upstairs and downstairs at the same time...

The words are simple, but more suitable for kids who have grasped reading already.  Love the pictures too, cos the drawings of the characters are not "distorted" i.e. the owl looks like an owl and not like an absract alien..

Will introduce you to another Arnold Lobel book next which my kids adore - Frog and Toad. It's another worn book bought when my 7 year old was 3 in KL.  Some pages are torn, so I think it's time for me to get a replacement ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment