Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hippo has a Hat by Julia Donaldson

Last night was all about the 2 year-old... I read Hippo has a Hat for the princess... The story is suitable even for 1 year old, I find, as the sentences are very simple and short. The illustrations as you can see from the picture below uses bold and attractive colours that appeal to the young ones...

It is interesting in a way that it helps to teach the lil ones the different types of clothes and accessories that one may wear... As the sentences are short, it leaves me, the reader less room to be dramatic... How then can a drama mama make it more appealing for a 2 year old when there's no drama?! Well, just get her to describe the pictures... To put herself into the story or into the position of the animal and make her own choice of the type of shirt that she would want to wear for instance.  There are comical parts to the book, of course, where the duck wore the polo-T wrongly... So I tried to be a bit animated here - "Oh no!! What happened to duck? Did he wear the T-shirt correctly? Where do you think his head should be?"


I would give this book a 3 star for now, as I saw that my gal wasn't particularly attracted to it... But mebe that was because she was also distracted by her older siblings who were of course bored by the simplicity of the story.

I will try this book again with her.. Cos I realised her reaction to a similar book - "Toddle Waddle" by Julia Donaldson - was initially also lukewarm... But when I repeated it, she loved it... And is now a fan of the book.. Meaning I think I gotta buy that book and make it a permanent addition in my library.
 
Post-Reading Activities
 
Here are some post-reading activities which I managed to find on-line :
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment