Friday, March 20, 2015

A simple dream

A simple dream

 

I have a dream. For all kids to be able to read, and fall in love with reading.

In my own simplistic mind, if a child loves reading, you open up an infinite number of doors for them. You allow them to look beyond the horizon. You sow the first seed of learning in them.

In 2013, this simplistic mind of mine, decided to make things a little bit complex.  I dropped all that I have built the past 12 years in my corporate life, and decided to make this dream a reality.
 
Today in the wee hour of the morning, as I look through the various photos of our past workshops and activities, I can't help but smile.  Each and every picture bore a certain memory.
 
I can't help but develop this fuzzy feeling in my heart,
  • Seeing children who couldn't sit still when a story is read aloud to them for even 1 minute, now sitting engaged for a full 20 minutes.
  • Seeing children who resisted in even picking up a book, now going to a bookshelf and picking a story by themselves.
  • Seeing our lesson plans that we've lovingly developed being executed with passion and being embraced by the children
  • Seeing children growing up in front of our eyes. 
  • Seeing children who were barely talking when they first came to us, now chattering endlessly, full of life
  • Seeing children who were just toddling when we first met them, now running and jumping.
  • Seeing how children who used to be strangers, parents who used to be strangers, bond over this common love for reading.
  • Making many friends along the way, of various cultures, various races, and various nationalities; all bound together by that common love.

But that dream has yet to be realised . The simple mind STILL dreams of a day when all children will be able to read and to fall in love with it.
 
Whether or not this dream will be realised, I know not. But I have got to try.

1 comment: