Saturday, March 14, 2015

The boy who DID not like to read

 
Warning : This post is a "rambling" by a mind who can't sleep...

This is the story of a boy who did not like to read.

I know of a small boy, a boisterous little fella who liked to run and jump; laugh heartily and ever generous with his smiles. He is a boy full of life. A boy who can make you tear your hair out, but at the same time one who can warm your heart so easily with his kind spontaneous acts and words; with his sudden hugs and kisses.

So you can just imagine how it was like to read aloud to this little fella. He seem to always have some sort of insect up his pants. He just couldn’t sit still. And I always wondered.. “Why oh why little fella can’t you sit still just for a few minutes, so I can read you a story proper. Just for a few minutes.”

I tried, I became stressed, I became agitated and then I gave up. Bam! Worst decision ever!

So when I tried to “teach” him reading, he HATED it. Finally it dawned on me… I had it all wrong with him. I tried to "teach" him reading. No doubt, reading can definitely be taught; but for a child to learn effectively, you first have to break down their barriers to learning. Reading should be something natural and not stressful. Something enjoyable. Then only can the love be planted, nurtured and blossom.

So I resumed reading aloud to the little fella. He still ran around. But I just kept on reading. But I knew he was actively listening, because at certain points he would stop, approach me and ask me questions about what I had just read.

It was a natural progression. It started with him being able to sit and listen for 2 minutes, then up to 5 minutes, to finally 30 minutes. We read 2 full chapters of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe together… Me, the little fella, my 3 year-old, and 8 year-old. All together on the bed as I read the book to them. It was a magical moment.

Getting him to learn reading then on became so much easier. From not being able to blend his letters well at the age of 5 still, to being able to read an entire book at the end of K1. Yes, a bit late for some parents maybe. But it was a great achievement for this little fella.

By the time he entered K2, he was able to read much better, and scoring in his spelling. And I breathed a huuuuuuuge sigh of relief. Phew! Really!

The sight of him on his bed now at night with a book in his hands and reading independently would never fail to leave a lump in my throat. Because he is no more the boy who does not like to read.

Just to share some tips on reading based on my own reading experience with my kids -

1. Never stop reading aloud to your children. Never!!

2. Pace the learning based on your child's pace. Different children develop at different stages, and they master reading at different stages. There will come a time when "Ting" it just happens (provided we continue reading and trying)

3.Never compare one child with another (In my case I compared him to his elder sister who started reading at 2. And as such added the unnecessary pressure on myself and indirectly onto the poor little fella). Do not be stressed, mummies and daddies! If you are stressed, this stress will emanate from you.

4. Choose a conducive environment to read, away from TV distractions, IPAD distractions etc. Then cuddle up and bond.

5. Make the reading experience a fun one. Its ok to be a child with your child sometimes, you know.
There are many more actually. But I think I will stop at 5 now, and save the next 5 for another rambling ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment