Thursday, March 6, 2014

I'm Back!

Wow! What a long hiatus... And now I am back :-)

As I scan my old postings, I smile, I giggle, I cry at the memories that me and my 3 lil' ones have formed together... just through reading.

Many of my friends and my reflection in the mirror (yes I talk to myself in the mirror, and so I believe my reflection knows me best) know me as someone who is very enthusiastic and a wee bit eccentric, though also very cautious and risk averse.

I knew I loved books and reading.  But never never never ever in my wildest imagination did I envision myself to open my own bookshop nor to start a business revolving around reading. NEVER!

My obsession with reading aloud and its positive effects on developing readers started when my first born was a mere one year old, I think. I knew my daughter and I enjoyed our reading times together.  We bonded, we learnt and the bonus was when she started to read independently without any compulsion from me whatsoever at the age of 2.5 years old.

Then during one of the early childhood courses that I took up voluntarily (just to escape from the boredom of auditing in the corporate world), I picked up a book "Reading Magic - Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever" by Mem Fox.  This book changed my life.  From that moment on, I decided that I would pursue literacy for young children on a more serious level.



But, I didn't know I was going to get this serious ;-)

And today I planted this determination in my heart, as I re-opened my blog, to truly pursue Playdate's mission - "To encourage reading and enhance literacy among children, by making reading an enjoyable experience." To ALL children, from ALL walks of life, from ALL types of backgrounds,

And of course, to ensure that my children, the very gems that I seek to protect, shine and polish, remain bonded with me through the seeking of the true knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment