Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Baby on my Chest

Yesterday, a customer came into the shop with her 2-month old after having brought her child to the BabySpa just next door.

After chatting with me about books and parenthood, somehow she was confident enough to leave her baby with me while she went to the ladies (Seriously, it’s not easy going around by yourself with an infant, especially when you are on high tide).

So there I was with an infant, prematurely in my hands. Why prematurely? Cos mine will come only in a month’s time ;-)  It felt good to have her in my arms, to smell the scent of heaven from her soft hair.  She was sleepy and getting cranky, and so I had to find the most comfortable position to carry her, what with my bulging tummy and all.  I decided then, to sit in my magic armchair and lay her on my chest, with a book in my hands – “Guess how much I love you”, a classic authored by Sam McBratney (Yup, this book can be found in Playdate Books ;-))
 

As she laid there, contented, her eyes, slowly drooping shut, I read the book softly.  It was a beautiful moment for me, as it allowed me to relax after a hectic day at home and at the shop; and I hope for her too, as she dozes off to sleep against the backdrop of a soothing voice, assuring her that everything’s ok.

(nope that's not me... hehehe)
 
This moment was between a stranger, me, and a baby I hardly knew.  Can you imagine the feeling I would have felt, if that moment was between me and my very own child?  Can you imagine the bond that would have been forged, if this reading aloud “ritual” is practised with your child daily.
So, that night, I told myself, Nora, when baby is born you have to pick up this book again.  Lay your small infant on your chest and read to her.  Cuddle her… Sing to her… Love Her to the Moon and Back J


No comments:

Post a Comment