Monday, April 27, 2015

For my mother, who reads to me



This morning, my sister posted a picture of my mum when she was much younger in 4 different kinds of look.  Each look a representation of her 4 different daughters. I won't post that picture up here, cos I know how shy she is ;-) 

But this post is not about my mum's looks. It's a post that I dedicate first and foremost to the woman whom I credit myself to; and to all the mummies out there who, also like my mother take on different looks, different roles and face head-on different challenges as they raise their family.

Since I was very young, my mother has impressed upon me and my siblings the importance of reading.

With her artistic flair (of which I have inherited none of; but which I believe at least 3 of my siblings have had the good fortune to inherit), she transformed our store room into a mini library. She drew a mural of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck reading a book on its wall, squeezed a table with 2 chairs into the small room and fitted several book shelves for the books.  A store being a store, had very poor ventilation, so if we wanted to go into our "library" the door had to remain open, and a fan placed outside.  In that room, beautiful memories were created.  We read, we wrote, we did our homework, we learnt and laughed.

And around the house, books were placed everywhere within our reach... Yup our house wasn't the tidiest place (There are 6 kids in our house, so it can't be all that tidy right...hehehehehe)

Not only that, I recalled each time we went out with this fashionable lady (again a trait which I have inherited none of, as seen from my complete lack of fashion sense), each one of us had to bring a book to read on the bus. And our first pit stop would always be a bookshop.  I could still recall my 1st ever book bought - A ladybird version of the "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves". Sometimes, she would leave us alone at the bookshop and she would say "Sit here, and read ok. Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back." And off she would go to shop for items for the family.  And we would remain rooted on the floor of the bookshop immersed in our storybook till she came back (Yup, at that time, somehow it was ok to leave your kids alone in a bookshop ;-))

Library visits were a treat for all of us.  Then, the library cards were made of cardboard, and the due date would be stamped on a piece of paper stuck on the 1st page of the book.  It was truly an excursion for us, because it meant that we would have books to read at home.  Books that we did not own or have at home.

She doesn't stop there.  To boost our confidence, imagination and public speaking skills, she would enrol us in whatever competitions that our preschool or primary school organised.  Be they storytelling competitions, poetry recitation, plays etc.  You name it. 

But what still sticks to my mind are not these trips to the bookshop or library; not the rooms that she designed... It was that SPECIAL MOMENT before bedtime, when she would to read to us a story.  She is not a dramatic reader; not entirely articulate all the time. But she read to us and is still reading. It is the sound of her voice, the smell of my mum being close to me and her gentle touch. It was that MOMENT.

My mum was not Early Childhood Trained.  Nor was she trained to be a teacher. And there was no internet there where you can easily find numerous articles on how to raise a good reader etc....

But she is a Mother.  And her mother instinct was so strong, that somehow she knew what she needed to do.  And this was what she did to raise a Reader in her 6 children -
  • She BUILT A LIBRARY
  • She MADE BOOKS ACCESIBLE to us
  • She brought us on LIBRARY VISITS
  • She made sure that BOOKS WERE ALWAYS IN OUR BAGS for trips
  • She ensured that we had OPPORTUNITIES TO SPEAK and PRESENT
  • She READ TO US

All Mothers have a NATURAL MOTHERLY instinct to want the best for their child, to want to bond and love their child.  I draw on what my mum has done for me and siblings and I bring it forth onto my children, and onto the children that come to PlayDate.  This love for Reading, this need to BOND between a child and a parent. 

And to mothers, including myself who sometimes worry so much as to whether we are doing it right with our children; Do not worry so much.  You are trying your best.  We are trying our best. And your child knows it.  And your child loves you for that very simple fact, that you are A MOTHER.

HAPPY ADVANCED MOTHER'S DAY!

PS: Mother's day is on the 10th May. Don't forget






No comments:

Post a Comment